Filiberto Montesinos Castañon was born in 1972 in Tuxtla Gutiérrez, in the southern Mexican state of Chiapas. He turned toward art ever since his infancy, but first began studying business administration at the Centre of Professional Studies “Fray Bartolomé de las Casas” in Chiapas. After having graduated in that discipline, he followed an artistic training at the University of Sciences and Arts of Chiapas (UNICACH) and took courses in creativity at the Free State University of Puebla, where his first individual exhibition took place in 1993. In 2003 he was honoured "Best New Artist of the Year" in Los Angeles by the Foundation "Parents against cancer," with commendations from US Vice President Dick Cheney.
Filiberto considers himself as a surrealist figurative painter in the tradition of the Mexican artists David Alfaro Siqueiros, Remedios Varo and the US American Georgia O'Keeffe. The latter opened his eyes to the poetry of the details of everyday life.
The starting point and primary objective of any of his paintings is to create a powerful mural with soul and texture. He therefore almost always pre-treats his canvases covering them with successive layers of a rich mixture of oil paint and sand; either hard and thick like the sand from the Palm Springs desert, or soft and fine like the river sand from other regions of the world. Combining these materials with a selection of strong colours, Filiberto manages to give his work a unique and fascinating expression, fully displaying the harmony of the selected motive into a full-scale aesthetic moment.
Filiberto's work has been widely exhibited internationally.
- His work was exhibited during the 27th “Anniversary Ball Auction” in Los Angeles, California.
- He participated to the “Viva” project with an exhibition at the Village at Ed Gould Plaza in Los Angeles.
- He also organized an exhibition called “Night of Hope” in the “House of Blues”, Los Angeles, California.
- His work was the hit of “Latin Style,” the welcome party for the 1st Annual Latin Grammy’s - LA
- He received rave reviews for his one-man art shows at the Dragon Gallery in Nyack, New York and in Amagansett
in the Hamptons, New York.
- Filiberto was honoured as “Best New Artist of the Year” in Los Angeles by “Padres Contra el Cancer” during “El
Sueño de Esperanza” with commendations from US Vice President Dick Cheney and other notables.
- As a member of the Society of Artist Painters his work could be seen during two years at the Desert Art Centre of
- Solo exhibition “Susurro Edenico“ at the fashion and art space “L-7 Set“ in Madrid, Spain, for which he conceded an
interview to the “Radio Nacional Exterior de España“.
- He designed the set for a new production of the opera "La Bohème", under the patronage of the Jovellanos theatre
of Gijón and several of his paintings were displayed at the Tioda art gallery of Gijón, Spain.
- 6th edition of the "Independent Art Fair” of Madrid (FAIM).
- Solo exhibition at the Espac’ Art gallery of Mons, Belgium.
- Solo exhibition at the Mexican Embassy to Belgium, Luxembourg and the European Union, in Brussels.
- He participated to the design of another opera set, La Traviata, which was programmed by the aforementioned
theatre Jovellanos, and repeated at the Opera of Vigo, Spain, in March 2007.
- Group exhibition at the K-Gallery of the Bavarian capital, Munich, Germany.
- “Station Antwerp”, a fascinating exhibition combining trend-setting fashion brands and art in the shunting station of
Antwerp, Belgium, which fitted within the first edition of the Benelux fashion week.
- Solo exhibition at the Artipasta gallery of downtown Brussels.
- He contributed to the set design of Rigoletto, for the Jovellanos theatre of Gijón, Spain.
- Collective exhibition at “Annother Art Gallery” in Aartselaar close to Antwerp, Belgium.
- Group exhibition at the Corinna Steiner Gallery of Vienna, Austria
- Duo exhibition at the Star Gallery of Böblingen near Stuttgart, Germany.
- Solo exhibition at the Gallery “El Pacifico” in Stuttgart, Germany
- Solo exhibition at the Gallery Steiner – Art & Wine of downtown Vienna, Austria.
- Cooperation with the Gallery Angerer of Vomperbach near Schwaz in Tirol, Austria.
- Solo exhibition in the Mexican Cultural Centre of the Mexican Embassy in Vienna, Austria
- Group exhibition in the Gallery "Art Présent" in downtown Paris, France
- Solo exhibition at the gallery "Art Café 26" of Williamsburg, VA, USA.
- Group exhibition "Latin America, Magic, Myths and Legends", organised in the City Hall of Stuttgart, Germany,
- Solo exhibition in the Julio Cortázar gallery of the « Casa Blů » in Prague, Czech Republic
- Group exhibition « México - En el ombligo del Mundo » at the General Consulate of Mexico in Frankfurt, Germany
- Group exhibition ARTRA 2011 at the “atelier Z” of the cultural centre “Christiane Peugeot” in Paris, France
- DIALOG 2011, a group exhibition organised by the Kalina gallery at the « Kapuzinerstadl » of the city of Deggendorf
in Bavaria, Germany.
- « Viva México », a group exhibition organised by curator Adelinda Allegretti at the ATA hotel in Varese, Italy, under
the patronage of the Mexican Embassy in Rome and the Mexican Consulate in Milan.
- “Kunst & Living” in the exhibition centre AHOY in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
- « Art Event Namur» at the convention centre of Namur in Belgium
- Solo exhibition at the Coghen Art Gallery of Brussels, Belgium
- “Kunst in Weert“, an art event organised in the city of Weert, in the Southern part of the Netherlands.
- Guest artist of the Global Art gallery in Tongeren, Belgium .
- Artist of the month June at the Kalina gallery of Regen near Deggendorf, Bavaria, Germany.
- “Mexico, Land of Natural Wonders”, 2nd group exposition of Mexican and foreign visual artists and photographers,
organised by the General Consulate of Mexico in Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
- Berliner Liste 2012, fair for contemporary art at the MUMA in Berlin, Germany.
- “Stimme der Erde, Stimme des Himmels” (Voice of the Earth, Voice of Heaven), group exhibition of Latin American
artists organized during the Ibero-American Cultural Festival of Esslingen-Stuttgart-Tübingen, Germany.
- First International Global Art exhibition in the beguinage church of Tongeren, Belgium
- First Artists’ Gallery of Southern Germany’s biggest creative fair - “Kreativ & Bastelwelt” in Stuttgart.
- The municipal government of Cintalapa (Chiapas, Mexico), expressed his gratitude to Filiberto for his contribution to
the cultural heritage and reputation of Cintalapa, inside and far outside Mexico.
- 36th Price exhibition of the Cultural Foundation of the Karlsruhe Savings Bank
- “Kunst in Weert 2013”, an Art Event during which works of more than 50 artists are displayed along an interesting
Art route crossing the entire city of Weert, in the South of the Netherlands
- Group exhibition at the „Lê Art Gallery” of Groningen, in the Netherlands.
- „Mexico, a Journey through History”, 3rd group exposition of Mexican and foreign visual artists and photographers,
organised by the General Consulate of Mexico in Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
- Group exhibition „Kunst in de Kerk“ (Art in the Church), Tongeren, Belgium
- 2nd International Global Art exhibition, in the beguinage church of Tongeren, Belgium
- Group exhibition „De Velinx” in the cultural centre of the city of Tongeren, Belgium
- Art Zürich International, Zürich, Switzerland
- Art Taipei, Taiwan
- Solo exhibition „When the winter gets tired“ in the General Consulate of Mexico in Frankfurt am Main
- 37th Price exhibition of the Cultural Foundation of the Karlsruhe Savings Bank
- Group exposition “Artistes du Monde” in Monaco, under the patronage of HSH Prince Albert II.
- Art Beijing 2014, China
- Group exhibition in the belfry of the city hall of Nieuwpoort, on the Belgian North Sea coast.
- Global Art gallery in Tongeren, Belgium
- Group exhibition in the Daelenbroeck Castle in Herkenbosch, The Netherlands
- SPECTRUM Miami Art Fair, in the frame of «Miami Art Week» and «Art Basel Miami»
- 14th International SYRLIN Art Prize exhibition, Stuttgart, Germany
- Group exposition “GEGENSÄTZE” , Stuttgart , Germany
- Group exposition “NUDES & SENSUALITY”, Global Art Gallery, Tongeren, Belgium
- 6th Art Fair of Baden-Württemberg, Haus der Wirtschaft, Stuttgart , Germany
- Solo exhibition “MOMENTS OF NATURE”, Kalina Gallery, Regen, Germany
- 5th International Art Exhibition “ARTISTES DU MONDE” under the patronage of Mrs Marina Picasso, Cannes, France.
- „CONSONANCIAS – DISONANCIAS“ - A group exhibition in the frame of the 6th Latin American Week of the city of
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- “125 VARIATIONS ON VAN GOGH” - exhibition of the 125 artworks nominated for the Van Gogh Art Prize in the
Breda’s Museum, The Netherlands
- 39th Art Prize exhibition of the Cultural Foundation of the Karlsruhe Savings Bank, Karlsruhe, Germany
- Home & Decoration Fair, Mandelieu la Napoule – France
- „KÖRPERPHANTASIEN“ – juried group exhibition at the Kunstwerk Gallery of Stuttgart – Fellbach, Germany
- Global Art Gallery, Tongeren , Belgium – group exhibition
- 6th International Art exhibition "ARTISTES DU MONDE" under the patronage of Ms Marina Picasso, Cannes, France.
- “NATIONALE KUNSTDAGEN” - Dutch National Art Days, Rotterdam AHOY, The Netherlands
- Artbox Project Miami, Spectrum Miami, USA
- 7th Art Fair of Baden-Württemberg, Haus der Wirtschaft, Stuttgart, Germany
- Artist of the gallery “Ton Piepers & Jan Mennen” in Weert, The Netherlands
- Group exhibition "MEMORIES, LIGHT & SHADOW" in the Global Art Gallery of Tongeren in Belgium
- Group Exhibition "SENSUALITY" in the Global Art Gallery of Tongeren in Belgium
- 7th International Art exhibition "ARTISTES DU MONDE", Cannes, France.
- “NATIONALE KUNSTDAGEN” - Dutch National Art Days in the “Beursfabriek” of Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
- Galleria Merlino, Florence, Italy
- Galleria Mentana, Florence, Italy
- 41st Art Prize exhibition of the Cultural Foundation of the Karlsruhe Savings Bank, Germany
- International Art Fair "Kunst Schimmer" in Ulm, Germany
- Solo exhibition "FRÜHLING" in the Sana Bethesda Clinic of Stuttgart, Germany